I always go to the Sunflower Market to buy my produce because they carry a wide variety of exotic fruits and vegetables and the prices are always reasonable. Recently I picked up an old favorite…plantains. In 2005 I spent my spring break in Managua, Nicaragua living with a family and volunteering with a local non-profit, Project Chacocente, that moves families out of the city dump and into a community of their own where they are taught everyday life skills. Nicaragua is the second poorest country in the Western hemisphere behind Haiti. But I have to say, they are the most giving people and they have some amazing food.
Since many of the people-and even some restaurants- cannot afford foods such as beef, cheese and, even in some cases, apples, which are all “imported”, they have made-due with the native foods of the land. Plantains are among my favorites. With every meal, breakfast included, we would have plantains. Always fresh, always fried. There is a variety of ways to fry a plantain: cut into thick slices which will make it softer and perfect for a side dish, or sliced paper thin which will yield a very crispy plantain which is perfect for dipping into salsa. Today I opted for thicker slices and had them for a snack as I sat here and thought about how much I would love to return to Nicaragua.
- 2 plantains, ripened*
- olive oil, enough to liberally coat the bottom of a large skillet
Over a medium flame, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Peel and slice each plantain on a diagonal, 1/4 inch thick. When the oil is hot, slide the plantains into the pan. I suggest doing 2 batches so you do not crowd the pan. You don’t want the pieces to be overlapping. Turn after 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and place on a plate layered with paper towels to absorb the grease.
If you decide to cut the plantains really thin the cooking time will be much shorter. You also do not want the oil to get so hot that they burn. Watch them carefully.
*Picking the right plantain: the more brown the skin of a plantain the sweeter the fruit will be. I suggest finding one that is yellowed with some brown spots. You can always buy them green and let them ripen on your counter.
Here are some pictures from my trip in 2005. If you have never been to Nicaragua I highly recommend it as a cultural experience.
Local women who just picked some plantains!
The landfill where the people of Chacocente used to live.
Where they live now.
0 comments:
Post a Comment